Discipleship in the midst of a pandemic.
The Kenya Foxfires Youth Empowerment Program 2020 started off with great expectations and zeal. Before the covid-19 epidemic, the team completed their induction training and then participated in the following:
- A mission in Kawangware, Nairobi with Open House Global Mission Church. The team conducted one on one evangelism, open air meetings and outreach to street children. In this mission, 301 people were reached with the Gospel with and 45 making commitment for Christ.
- Reaching the teens at Nairobi Chapel Karen on Sundays. They have so far reached 250 Teens with 4 giving their lives to Christ.
- The team has also participated in community work at Soweto Kayole Clinic that is run by AE in one of the slums in Nairobi.
- School and University ministry, the team has reached 2011 students with 123 committing their lives to Christ.
As in any other part of the world, the Foxfires 2020 has also been affected by the Covid-19. The team had to move back to their homes and schools and churches were closed by the government. This resulted in the team having to find ways to reach out and make a difference in their communities through online platforms.
“We maintain contact as a team via zoom every Wednesday to pray together, strategise for ministry, encourage each other and remind each other that God is still in control.”
Here are some examples of how the team is continuing with their discipleship:
Lydia, an intern in Eldoret is making a difference by reaching out to university students on Whatsapp. A lot of students are feeling anxious and Lydia reminds them that God is in control. She encourages them to do online courses to keep busy and she also spends time in prayer for these students.
“I am very excited that at such a time I am making a difference among my fellow youths. Let’s all make a difference wherever we are.”
Branden is wisely spending his time back in Kakamega by learning new skills online and spending more time with God. He also reaches out to his friends with a message of
“Have hope and be positive”
Denis chooses to be a beacon of hope in his community of Thika where he lives with his mother. The own a shop and Denis have made it his mission to disciple to the customers.
“I credit the great efforts of the Foxfires Program into making me fearless in passing the message of hope to many.”
With this approach: Ministry from a Distance, God will still minister to his people through this team.
- Pray for the Foxfires, that they will keep the fire burning.
- Pray for their protection and safety in this period of time together with their families.
- Pray for provision of everything they need that their parents will lack nothing.
- Pray for the country of Kenya and the world as a whole.
- Pray for the youth. That they not fall but will anchor their hope and faith in Christ.